Thursday 8 December 2011

This is NOT my Bucket List

You know, it's getting to that time of year when it's gets so cold out that you just want to hole up and hibernate until the first signs of spring.  It's dark out by 4:30 right now, and the warmest part of the day may only reach +2.  By the time we get home and fed dinner, it's after 7, pitch black out and below freezing.  There's no snow yet, so dark is dark.  It's completely unmotivating out there...  And then the guilt kicks in--I didn't walk the digs, I didn't get in any workout and I don't feel like going back outside into the cold darkness, and I know that I cannot get from "here" to "there" without going outside into the cold.  And where is here and there?

Here I am at my weight loss goal.  Close enough, anyways.  So where am I going now?  What do I do now?  Hell, I set new goals, that's what I do.  Just don't call it my bucket list.  I don't want to wait until I'm dieing to do this shit.  So, what do I want to do, to accomplish, now that I'm "here"???

When I started down this path, I could not read enough about the paleo/primal diet and lifestyle.  I thought to myself, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to really, fully understand the science behind it.  I will not go into this blindly.  If I'm going to radically change everything I think about food, I'm going to need to have answers for the people that question what the hell I think I'm trying to do.  So I read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories", and "Why We Get Fat", I read Lauren Cordain's first book and I read writings from Robb Wolf.  I read Mark Sisson's website from one end to the other.  I read accounts from people about how it cured their diabetes, it cured their IBS, it cured their acne and celiac disease, it cured the ridges in their nails and it even turned grey hair back to it's childhood colour.  Well, I jumped in with two feet and I can tell you, it does not turn grey hair back to its original colour, nor did it take the ridges out of my nails.  It did not remove the redness from my skin, nor did it remove any wrinkles that life has given to me.  But it did help me shed those last few nagging pounds, it made me feel good again, on the inside, and it gave me control over my body.  I think it gives those of us with eating disorders and food obsessions a safe, healthy way to control what we eat and how eating can affect us.  Eating this way gives me energy, gives me strength and makes me feel good about myself.

Lately, I've been reading alot about adventure racing.  Warrior Dash, Savage Race, Spartan Race.  I've been reading about obstacle course training and eco-caches and orienteering races.  That is what I want to do.  I want 2012 to be my year, to get outside and "biggie-size" my adventures.  The Spartan race comes back to Ontario this coming year, and there are a lot more of them coming, too.  Maybe I can do the whole circuit of them.  Or maybe I can just do one or two.  (Where have you gone Warrior Dash, and when are you coming back to Ontario??)  And there are places in the Muskokas that offer a combo of mountain biking, trail running and canoeing, some even add rogaining.  I can do that stuff.  I can canoe, I can portage, I can trail ride a bike.  I can orienteer (heck, I used to teach wilderness survival tips during guided hikes I would lead...)  I CAN do all that.  I haven't done alot of it nearly enough these past few years (decades...) but I know I can do it. I haven't done it with obstacles before, but I can learn that.  In the year of 2012, I want to get outside and have more fun, tuff fun.  Dirty fun.  So now, I guess I have to start training for it.  I want to learn how people train for this kind of shit.  I want to train.  And train hard.  I don't think one 15 minute cycle of pushups, pullups, wall-sits and single-leg squats every week, followed by a hike where I carry Steve around is quite going to do it.  I'm going to have to get creative and lead a full-on assault of the childrens playground when I'm out walking my dogs at night.  (Won't the dogs be surprised when I start running and jumping about like a nut on drugs?)  I'll have to do it more than once a week.  I'm going to have to take it up a notch.  And I'm going to have to get out there in the cold.  I'm going to have to get creative, and not let life keep getting in the way, because it always does, doesn't it?  That's my goal for the coming year--but do not-- really DO NOT call it my bucket list.  Its my ambition list.


Savage Race
One day, this will be me......


No comments:

Post a Comment