Sunday 27 May 2012

Gourmet Thin-Crust Pizza

Yes, I said thin crust, and you can eat it with your hands.

This is the best pizza crust I've made so far.  I've been searching for a pizza crust that feels like real crust, and most recipes for almond-flour crust DO feel right, but they all have a cup of cheese in the crust, then even more on top of the pizza, and while I do eat cheese, my lactose-intolerance means I can only eat small amounts of it.  So it there's going to be cheese on a pizza, I want it ONTOP of it.

The inspiration for this one came from "Everyday Grain-Free Gourmet" by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass.  I can't take all the credit on this one.  It took only some minor changes.  Here's what I did:

Feeds about 3-4

Crust:

2 c almond meal
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Line baking sheet or pizza tray with parchment paper.  Mix all ingredients for pizza crust--it will have the consistency of cookie dough.  Gently press flat onto parchment.  This should make about a 14 inch round.  You could easily increase the almond meal, egg and oil to make this a monster pizza crust.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until set firm and edges have begun to brown.  Remove, and proceed as below.

Sausage-Topped Pizza:

Sauce:

1 5-oz can tomato paste
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
pinch salt
pinch hot pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients and set aside.

Topping:

1 lb italian sausage
1/2 onion
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 c cheddar
2 tbs parmesan cheese

Brown meat, onions and spices in skillet until meat is cooked through.  Move oven rack to highest setting and turn on broiler.  Top pizza crust with sauce, parmesan, meat mixture, then cheddar, then place whole under broiler just until it begins to bubble and brown slightly.  Remove from oven.  It should slide right off the parchment for easier slicing.  Cut into 1/8ths and serve. 


The pizza dough is firm enough that you could actually top the whole thing before cooking the crust and the toppings will slightly cook into the base, making it a bit softer.  If you choose to do this, the oven needs to be set to 500 degrees, with the rack at it's lowest position, for about 10 minutes.  If you were using a cake pan for this and wanted a more deep-dish effect, this is the route to go, but you'll have to experiment alittle as I haven't tried it this way yet.





9 comments:

  1. Made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am so making it after shopping tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this for dinner tonight! Thank you so much for this recipe!! It was easy & SO GOOD!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the best crust I have tried! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to try this!
    also sharing this on my friday link roundup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic! I added some other ingredients (mushrooms, very thin slices of tomatoes, black and green olives and strips of bell pepper) which I believe gave the pizza additional flavor. I used mozzarella cheese rather than cheddar. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can the almond meal be substituted by Coconut flour? 2c of almond meal is like 160 almonds lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh, it IS a lot of almonds, I agree, and I have experimented with many variations of pizza crust using tapioca starch and coconut flour, but none of them hold together as well as, or taste as good, as this recipe. Like real pizza, this one should be considered a treat food and not an all-the-time food.

      Delete
  8. I've made this twice now and it's very good... Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete