Wednesday 23 November 2011

A Few Recipes Reviewed...

Having teenagers, I am eternally baking paleo-friendly treats, trying to find the perfect treat that will win them over to my sugar-free, grain-free lifestyle.  So far, I have not had much luck.  Now, not to rain on any of the paleo-recipe bloggers parades, but I have yet to taste a cookie that tastes anything like a cookie, nor have I tasted a tortilla bread that remotely resembles a tortilla.  Every time I read one of their blogs, extolling how excellent a new cookie/cake/bread recipe is, I run out and buy the ingredients, bake it up, and am yet again disappointed.  And I have to ask myself, when was the last time any of them tasted a real cookie/cake/bread?  Because the recipes so far....have not been it.  How I wish I was a baking savante.  I wish I could just imagine it, and know what to throw in there to make it happen.  But I am not, I am not Betty-freakin' Crocker and I do not know to create delicious grain-free baked goodies, and so I am left to review other peoples masterpieces instead.  So I'm sorry.

That being said, I would like to mention a few unusual recipes that have been very successful and delicious in our house.  First and foremost, the Paleo Parents have the most to-die-for porridge recipe.  It fills the house with the smell of apple-cinnamon and draws people over to the stovetop to ask what it is I'm cooking.  This is their picture, honestly, and mine looks exactly the same.  I just don't do food pictures justice, myself.  It does not contain added sugars and it stores in the fridge for several days.  I find it makes about 6 servings, so it feeds me breakfast all week.  Seriously, go here
http://paleoparents.com/2011/cinnamon-apple-creamed-hot-cereal/  Try it.  You will not be disappointed.

Along that vein, I have cooked many dry and crappy brownie/chocolate cakes paleo-style.  Hands-down, so far, this is my favorite (god, I wish I could remember who's recipe this was, because they deserve a huge pat on the back....
Ingredients10 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce 
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine celtic sea salt
  • 1/2 cup strong coffee
Instructions
  1. Place the medjool dates in a food processor and pulse until completely pureed.
  2. Add applesauce and continue to pulse until pureed and combined with the dates.
  3. Add the fruit purée to the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and coffee and mix on low-medium speed until well combined.
  4. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
  5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on low-speed, scraping down the sides, until you have a smooth batter.
  6. Grease a 8×8 glass pan with coconut oil, pour in the batter and smooth it with the back of a spatula.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
20111013-090839.jpgMakes 9-12 servings unless you eat it all at once before it even cools...

Brilliant, the dates keep it moist.  I undercooked mine only a couple of minutes and it stayed very moist that way.  Tasted better and better as it sat in my fridge through the week and I picked away at it peice by peice (I was having a very craving-filled week and made the kids swear not to touch it, not that this stopped them, but it slowed down the rate at which they ate it...)
And finally, thank you Civilized Caveman for your Chocolate Caveman Crunch.  It is hands-down the best cold-cerial substitute for those days when another egg just won't cut it, and I just don't have the time or patience to make the porridge that I mention above.  It stores pretty indefinately in a ziplock, makes a good snack-by-the-handfull food and convinced my hardest-to-convert teen that she didn't need cheerios anymore, at least until she had such a huge bowl of the caveman crunch that she made herself ill...  Ok, so it is delicious, but you can't eat the whole thing at once, let that be a lesson to everyone...
http://www.civilizedcavemancooking.com/2011/04/caveman-crunch.html

Sorry, the picture refuses to be sized any smaller. 

I don't eat like this all the time.  I don't eat crazy amounts of paleo-treats, honestly.  Most mornings, I survive on two hard boiled eggs with hot salsa over homemade guacamole, or a can of lemon-pepper tuna on salsa with half an avacado (good lord did I gross my boss out today eating that one--stinks up the whole office and made him gag).  I really have to stop bringing canned tuna to the office.  People much prefer the smell of the porridge when I re-heat it in the staff kitchen...  Though my co-worker did say it looked like baby barf, he admitted it smelled delicious.

So there, a few recipe reviews.  I'm still trying to find the perfect recipes.  Next up--Elana's Pantry Pumpkin Bread.  Lets see if it comes anywhere close to convincing my picky teens....

No comments:

Post a Comment