Tuesday 12 June 2012

Adventures in Cauli-Bread, part II --Pizza!


 So of course I had to try this one.  I love pizza.  I love cheese, but cheese does not love me.  I can take small amounts, the firmer the cheese, the better.  And pizza without cheese is a life not worth living.  But there is a limit on how much cheese I'm willing to consume.  Seriously.  I just can't digest those cheese-filled cauli-crust pizzas I see people making.  Nor can I digest the almond-flour heavy crusts sometimes.  I LOVE the gourmet thin-crust  pizza I blogged the recipe for.  It is hands-down the most authentic-tasting pizza crust I've made yet.  But almond flour is incredibly expensive.  And I could definitely stand to cut down on my nut consumption. 

So I came upon this recipe at Healthylicious Housewife.  And I wondered, could I do it?  Would it work?  Certainly, the hamburger buns worked.  So here's what I did:


Puree'd a half  head of cauliflower (about 3 cups worth) until it was just pulp.  Then I added 3 eggs, 3 tbsp flax seeds that I ground up real fine in an old coffee grinder.  I added a couple of shakes of dried garlic and onion  powder.  Hard to believe that's all that needs to go in there.

I lined a giant pizza pan with greased parchment paper and patted out the very wet mixture and baked it at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Then I flipped it over  and cooked it for another 5 minutes.  I moved the rack up to the highest setting and switched the oven to broil.

I topped it with my favourite toppings--cooked sausage and onions with a bit of cheddar on top of it all.  Then I jut broiled until golden.  Easy.
Could I hold it in my hands to eat it?  ....Sorta.  Ok, not really.  But almost.  Was it as tasty as the gourmet thin-crust pizza?  No, but it was very good.  Could you taste the cauliflower?  No, surprisingly.

Cheaper, easier, and probably a lot healthier.  I would call this a success in cauli-bread adventures--that's 2/2 so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment