Friday 29 June 2012

Highway Cobbery



I don't know where they got the name Cobb Salad from.  There is no cob in my salad.  I hate canned corn, and those tiny baby corn cobs.  I used to pick them out of everything.  Anywhoo, a Cobb salad is really any layered salad.  This one was simple--I wanted meat with my meat.  Sometimes that's just the way I roll. 

Its hot here in Toronto right now.  Don't get me wrong; summers are short and hot and dry normally, though we've had some short, wet and cold summers lately, so I'm glad to have the heat back.  But that doesn't mean I want to heat up the kitchen.  No.  I threw the chicken in the crockpot in the early morning, poured in a splash of water and some salt and pepper on it, and walked away and forgot about it until dinner time.  You could cook it any way you like, but my way meant all the goodness from the bones was cooked into my food.  But that's just me.  At the end of the day, all I had to do was boil some eggs and fry some bacon.  Who can't do that?!  Simple.  Life should always be this simple.  Cooking should always be this simple.  Intuitive.  Flexible.

And look, this recipe is not a casserole, and not served with gravy.  I'd say not with sauce, but there was salad dressing, so there ya go.  Sauce.  I love sauce.  Any sauce.  Of course I loved this sauce.  But I think you'll like this sauce, too, as much as I did.  Taste it and you'll know.  I'm right.  I'm always right.

So,
 
Among 5 plates, I divided...

7 hard-boiled eggs
10 strips of bacon
2 tomatoes
4 chicken breasts
3 romaine hearts
1 cup cheddar
1 cup shredded carrots

And for the dressing....

1/2 cup garlic-basil mayo (recipe here )
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp fresh dill, finely mashed
2 tsp parsley
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 scoops stevia powder or 1 tsp honey
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients. 

Eat on a patio, or deck, or something like that.  Get outside and enjoy the weather.  And the flies.  There's always flies.



    
Use What You Have:  
Meat Cheese More Veggies
     
Steak Blue red onions, sweet peppers, blanched asparagus
Ham/ Peameal Cheddar peas, cherry tomatoes
Tuna Provalone green onions, olives
Salmon none green onions, avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment